Saturday, March 26, 2011

Frozen Rain? Or Snow? On My daffodils? Oh, Woe!

Oh, for Pete squeaks.

Little icy globs all over the deck, making it look more desolate and tatty than ever. An inch of snow to come tonight.

And all the early blossoms out, the "tulip trees", the early weeping cherries, the Bradford pears, the baby-soft green on my lilac bush, the fluff on the hydrangeas, the yellow tulips, the stiff little leaflets that flutter like an old movie on the crabapple.

Shall they be sacrifices to cruel, cruel Spring?

Oh, Kentucky, unfortunate state, where North and South fight their border wars.

5 comments:

Summer said...

Oh no!!! I feel your pain :(

ZipZip said...

Thank you! At this moment, sympathy feels good, although neither yours nor mine, only Heaven's, will protect the gentle blossoms. Sigh...

very best,

natalie

Summer said...

Thank you for the lovely comment! It's difficult when the first signs of spring are covered by snow :( I hope your weather doesn't get too cold so the blossoms can survive.
Summer

Kleidung um 1800 said...

What a pity! Hopefully there's not too much damage done to the delicate flowers!
Keen gardeners do have to face this nearly each year, don't they;)
I'm always worried about my primulae auriculum in frosty spring nights and then in May I'm worried about my hostas eaten away by slugs or damaged by rain/hail...but nevertheless flowers, plants and herbs mean so much fun!
Sabine

ZipZip said...

Yes, I agree...

Slugs on hostas. Ugh. When I lived near Stuttgart as a child (my dad worked for IBM), we had snails -- Schnecken -- that would eat a number of things, but they were big and rather cute, so I had one for a pet, and Mom marked its shell with an "N" for Natalie with nail polish. It wandered away eventually...